contents of Kakao Privacy Philosophy
Personal Information Lifecycle
Kakao “collects, uses and provides users’ personal information with users’ consent” and “proactively guarantees users’ rights (right of
self-determination with personal information)”.
The Personal Information Lifecycle shows the flow of user information starting from the moment the user provides their personal information in order to use the service, up until their personal information is destroyed when the user no longer uses the provided service. Kakao plans to provide users with a clear picture of how and when we collect, use and store personal information.
“Privacy protection” is at the top of the list in all processes that handle personal information. We at Kakao will do our best so that users can use Kakao’s services without having to worry about the invasion of their privacy.
- When is it collected?
- When you sign up Necessary personal information is collected with your consent when signing up for a service. When you use a service Additional personal information is collected to improve your user experience with additional services or customized content. This information is also collected only with the user's consent. When you access a service Access history, which is automatically collected during service use, and cookie information, which is used for limited purposes to improve user convenience are collected. Service access and the environment settings are stored and cookie storage can be deactivated by changing the web brower's setting.
- What information is collected?
- Necessary Limited information such as ID, password and contact infomation, required to use the service's basic features. Example: ID, password, username, contact information Optional Additional information collected to provide users with more customized content and not necessary to use the service's basic features. Automatically generated Information automatically generated during service use. Example: IP address, cookies, service use history and etc.
- How is it used?
- To provide the service's basic features Personal information is used to identify users, provide the service, handle user inquiry or complaints and provide service guidelines. To provide additional features Personal information is used to provide paid services, for marketing/advertising, to develop better services and make improvements, and provide customized content. To protect users Personal information is used to block spams, malicious codes and other activities that damage the services, and restrict actions that violate the service's Terms of Service.
- When is it provided?
- For third party management In certain cases, personal information is managed by third party agencies to provide Kakao users with optimal service. Example: customer service, product delivery For third party service providers User's personal information, which has been collected by Kakao, may be provided to a third party (a partner of Kakao) for use in the third party's service. Information is provided only after acquiring user's consent.
- When is it destroyed?
Destroying personal information
- Personal information is destoyed without delay once it is used for its intended purposes.
- It is also destroyed when a user unregisters from a service or upon a user's request.
* However, if your personal informaiton needs to be retained for a period of time to issue a refund or other protection purposes, it will be stored in a separate database. The retained information will not be used for purposes other than storage and it will be destroyed immediately once the term of retention has ended.
- How is it destroyed?
- Electronic files containing personal information are deleted in a non-restorable manner using electronic erasure.
- Printed documents containing personal information are shredded or incinderated.